June’s Muffin of the Month
From the Kitchen of Amy Rothenberg ND
I am at our local community supported agriculture farm picking up my share of the harvest. The early summer share includes “you pick” strawberries and there’s a bumper crop! I taste while I pick, I gather to have in a colander on my kitchen table and I take more to de-stem/rinse and freeze for a winter time treat. I also think---perfect time for some strawberry muffins! This is a gluten-free recipe that I have modified from others I have used in the past. The coconut oil gives these pretty gems a soft smooth texture and the almond flour gives them a bit more heft. Wonderful warmed with a dollop of whipped cream!
- 1 1/4 cup gluten free flour blend (be sure your blend contains some xanthan gum or add a ¼ teaspoon)
- 3/4 cup almond flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- ¼ cup maple syrup
- 2 large eggs
- 2/3 cup minus 2 tablespoons water- seems like a funny amount—it’s from swapping maple syrup for white refined sugar, so need a little less liquid!
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 cup chopped strawberries
- 3 tablespoons melted butter
- 3 tablespoons melted coconut oil
Preheat your oven to 350 degrees. In a big bowl, add together all your dry ingredients and stir it all up.
In another handy bowl, add all the wet ingredients and whisk to combine. Next, pour the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients and add your luscious strawberries.
Mix only just until it’s blended which insures a more fluffy muffin. I like to use paper liners in my muffin tins and spray with a little light oil. Fill up the cups to ¾ full. Bake for 18-20 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean.
Remove onto a cooling rack.
Let them cool and enjoy!