May’s Muffin of the Month
From the Kitchen of Amy Rothenberg ND
These can work for those who eat broadly and for those who side step gluten or dairy. I like these slit open & cooked in a little butter, but smothered with chili or under some steamed kale & 2 eggs over easy works too! Enjoy!
- 1 1/4 cup stone ground cornmeal
- 3/4 cup all-purpose flour or gluten free flour mix
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt (less if you like)
- 2 large eggs
- 3/4 cup yogurt—any kind will do - dairy, soy, almond! I used dairy yogurt
- 1/2 cup milk (any kind) I used soy milk
- 1/4 cup honey, a little less if you don’t prefer sweeter
- 1/4 cup melted coconut oil or butter, I used half & half!
Set the oven to 400 degrees and oil up your mini loaf pans or muffin tins. Take your nice mixing bowl and stir together all the dry items: the cornmeal, the flour or gluten-free blend, your baking soda, baking powder, and salt. Then in another lovely bowl, gently beat the eggs first & then add all the liquid ingredients: the yogurt, milk, honey, and melted coconut oil or butter. Whisk away until they are smoothly blended. Pour your wet ingredients into the dry ones and try not to over-stir. Fill your vessels and set your timer and then set your table—these fellas bake up quick, you don’t want them to burn. A scant 10-12 minutes should do it, use a toothpick to test. Pulls out clean dry? Done!